The Lost Generation of Japanese Internet Cafe Kids
Japanese internet cafes are good. So good that people are living there – literally.
Japanese internet cafes (also known as manga cafes) offer comfortable lay-flat chairs. They’re semi-private and have food, showers, free drinks and ice cream, a massive library of books, manga, video games, magazines and movies. They even have internet!
It’s cheap to stay over night in an internet cafe. Often it’s around 1000~2000 yen ($10-20 USD).
Some young Japanese live in the cafes for weeks, months or even years. Moving from cafe to cafe each night.
Most internet cafe kids are engaged in casual employment of some kind. Many find the cafes a convenient alternative to an expensive Tokyo or Osaka apartment. They may also lack the down payment that’s required for an apartment (key money, deposit and agent fees often total 6 months rent).
Most internet kids aren’t truly homeless. Many could easily live with parents or relatives but find the cafes convenient.
Manga cafes — unlimited free sugar, video games, movies, manga. Many kids may feel it’s better than home.
- phoenixlucario likes this
- phoenixlucario reblogged this from theredcrane25
- theredcrane25 reblogged this from lucario-miruku
- everybodyhateszee likes this
- currysauceproductions reblogged this from this-love-is-trauma
- this-love-is-trauma reblogged this from lucario-miruku
- mosellegreen likes this
- xm-chan reblogged this from lucario-miruku
- xm-chan likes this
- lucario-miruku reblogged this from jxxhyu-n
- tristanarkham reblogged this from certainlynotdavid
- notes-of-the-world-by-an likes this
- pillsofamour reblogged this from markthrash
- ts-sincerity likes this
- blissfulrecreations reblogged this from kagezukami
- fricketyfrackapplejack reblogged this from halcyonhaneul
- fricketyfrackapplejack likes this
- halcyonhaneul reblogged this from writing-over-ashes
- fsmbatman likes this
- 3hillin reblogged this from total-carnage
- 3hillin likes this
- chlorineblondie likes this
- total-carnage reblogged this from oh-so-unpredictable
- samnambulist likes this
- sirfin reblogged this from kagezukami
- the-rat-cook reblogged this from fisting-grandma
- bravabravabravissima likes this
- cowardlymajor likes this
- lily-the-leopard reblogged this from thescienceofreblogging
- cee-panda reblogged this from markthrash
- mirrormaze likes this
- my-name-isnt-sophie reblogged this from spartanninja
- bubblyizzy likes this
- habitat-ty likes this
- somethingobnoxii reblogged this from spartanninja
- parkour3unny likes this
- thecakeisapotato likes this
- spartanninja reblogged this from trolljackalope and added:
- berrykillings reblogged this from jubilee-helix
- flailingfeathers reblogged this from ajs-star
- soapyporridge reblogged this from candyskullosaurus
- your-servant-nephilem likes this
- ask-georgewashington reblogged this from candyskullosaurus
- evangelionunit-01 reblogged this from kagezukami
- ajs-star reblogged this from sacajaweeaboo
- savekillua likes this
- firebreadtroy likes this
- cannibalpsychopath likes this
- questionaldeath likes this
- thelittlebromonster likes this