The Lost Generation of Japanese Internet Cafe Kids
Japanese internet cafes are good. So good that people are living there – literally.
Japanese internet cafes (also known as manga cafes) offer comfortable lay-flat chairs. They’re semi-private and have food, showers, free drinks and ice cream, a massive library of books, manga, video games, magazines and movies. They even have internet!
It’s cheap to stay over night in an internet cafe. Often it’s around 1000~2000 yen ($10-20 USD).
Some young Japanese live in the cafes for weeks, months or even years. Moving from cafe to cafe each night.
Most internet cafe kids are engaged in casual employment of some kind. Many find the cafes a convenient alternative to an expensive Tokyo or Osaka apartment. They may also lack the down payment that’s required for an apartment (key money, deposit and agent fees often total 6 months rent).
Most internet kids aren’t truly homeless. Many could easily live with parents or relatives but find the cafes convenient.
Manga cafes — unlimited free sugar, video games, movies, manga. Many kids may feel it’s better than home.
- kookiem-ocha likes this
- michree likes this
- benevolentbitches reblogged this from spookycaptrogers
- seok--ah reblogged this from g0n
- suchfunnywaytofall likes this
- alyonelaer likes this
- adamantchaos likes this
- assassinskullor likes this
- theivorywriter reblogged this from elvishstarlight
- rocketshoes2 reblogged this from rocketshoes2
- elvishstarlight reblogged this from shamefullyinspired
- elvishstarlight likes this
- ghostly-boo reblogged this from ironmeg
- kiwichik likes this
- myfriendscallmesatan reblogged this from plaguekin
- plaguekin reblogged this from strawhat-badass
- zamyrose759 likes this
- spoopyshampoopoo reblogged this from forget-me-not-be-my-friend
- spoopyshampoopoo likes this
- missing-in-fandoms reblogged this from nijimurra
- adio-sagacchi likes this
- evilcherry reblogged this from kichonasan
- evilcherry likes this
- kichonasan reblogged this from miss-unauffindbar
- agathokakolzgical likes this
- miss-unauffindbar reblogged this from nijimurra
- nemu-hana likes this
- macho-madness reblogged this from leniskagamine
- yadtsal reblogged this from nijimurra
- yadtsal likes this
- chahak-yuck likes this
- rockergrl718 likes this
- ionlyhavesomanynames likes this
- nishios likes this
- nijimurra reblogged this from envy-and-pride
- infinidadedepandas likes this
- silenthilllz reblogged this from lawlya
- plaguekin likes this
- futurepiratequeen reblogged this from strawhat-badass
- fashionrebelle13 likes this
- strawhat-badass reblogged this from lawlya
- strawhat-badass likes this
- essrambles likes this
- lizziecanoillustrator likes this
- inkdragon likes this
- strawberriecute likes this
- disizment reblogged this from lawlya
- pessimistic-ya likes this