The Lost Generation of Japanese Internet Cafe Kids
Japanese internet cafes are good. So good that people are living there – literally.
Japanese internet cafes (also known as manga cafes) offer comfortable lay-flat chairs. They’re semi-private and have food, showers, free drinks and ice cream, a massive library of books, manga, video games, magazines and movies. They even have internet!
It’s cheap to stay over night in an internet cafe. Often it’s around 1000~2000 yen ($10-20 USD).
Some young Japanese live in the cafes for weeks, months or even years. Moving from cafe to cafe each night.
Most internet cafe kids are engaged in casual employment of some kind. Many find the cafes a convenient alternative to an expensive Tokyo or Osaka apartment. They may also lack the down payment that’s required for an apartment (key money, deposit and agent fees often total 6 months rent).
Most internet kids aren’t truly homeless. Many could easily live with parents or relatives but find the cafes convenient.
Manga cafes — unlimited free sugar, video games, movies, manga. Many kids may feel it’s better than home.
- sarcasm-is-a-friend reblogged this from we-are-fan-warriors
- melting-rainbow-daleks reblogged this from we-are-fan-warriors
- melting-rainbow-daleks likes this
- we-are-fan-warriors reblogged this from otakaboo17
- theobsidian-rinzilla reblogged this from diedamedersheeplings
- that-magic-ginger-kat reblogged this from sexinwithhoechlin
- albuspercivalwulfrictumbldore reblogged this from otakaboo17
- albuspercivalwulfrictumbldore likes this
- confessionsofavi likes this
- ordinarygaminggirl likes this
- hanu-the-albarnist reblogged this from otakaboo17
- hanu-the-albarnist likes this
- otakaboo17 reblogged this from coldheartedaquarius
- coldheartedaquarius reblogged this from diedamedersheeplings
- coldheartedaquarius likes this
- minacoleta likes this
- frostbittenrabbits likes this
- diedamedersheeplings reblogged this from sexinwithhoechlin
- diedamedersheeplings likes this
- spockuhura-is-flawless likes this
- sexinwithhoechlin reblogged this from blowmeobrien
- blowmeobrien reblogged this from stuckintheinterwebs
- tylerfauxkley reblogged this from pandaroo-mcgee
- butterscotchveins reblogged this from shamefullyinspired
- queenelsaofouat likes this
- virtualee reblogged this from boo-chan
- rlysadsunflowers likes this
- thatblogthathasnothingonit reblogged this from the-life-of-a-moose
- owly-soul reblogged this from carressastuff
- momma-arclight likes this
- ariellaphant likes this
- taurusrc reblogged this from rainbowthinker
- palynology reblogged this from kagezukami
- magicians-valkyria reblogged this from sisuimp
- captainjizzpants reblogged this from lucario-miruku
- phoenixlucario likes this
- phoenixlucario reblogged this from theredcrane25
- theredcrane25 reblogged this from lucario-miruku
- everybodyhateszee likes this
- currysauceproductions reblogged this from this-love-is-trauma
- this-love-is-trauma reblogged this from lucario-miruku
- mosellegreen likes this
- xm-chan reblogged this from lucario-miruku
- xm-chan likes this
- lucario-miruku reblogged this from jxxhyu-n
- tristanarkham reblogged this from certainlynotdavid
- notes-of-the-world-by-an likes this
- pillsofamour reblogged this from markthrash